School NurseSeptember 2021 (could start earlier)
The Medical Centre provides an outstanding medical provision to both pupils and staff and is an integral part of the pupils’ pastoral system, providing exceptional care for their physical and emotional wellbeing.
The centre itself is open term time only, from 0900 – 1700, Monday – Friday plus c.25 Saturdays per year and may be open later or at other times by prior arrangement.
The two School Nurses report to the School Doctor but work independently and have good working relationships with a number of key staff including the Heads of Pastoral Care, Deputy Head, Boarding Staff and School Counsellor.
The Medical Centre comprises a clinical treatment room and 2 x 2 bedded bays which can be used for those pupils who are unwell during the day, a staff office/reception area and a pupil waiting area. Unwell boarders are cared for in the medical centre during the day and, if able, return to the boarding house at night.
As a result of COVID-19 the medical centre staff have modified their work practices to accommodate management of suspected cases of COVID-19, caring for any boarders with symptoms whilst overseeing the test and trace process for pupils and staff. Day to day duties will continue to cover a wide range of issues including sports injuries, vaccinations and long term health condition management for pupils.
The role will be based in the Medical Centre This is a permanent position for a term time only RGN to join our medical team The hours of work will be Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm plus 1 in 3 half day Saturdays We are open to discussing flexible working options with candidates
• You will be responsible for the day to day running of the medical centre with the provision of first aid / emergency care within Holmewood House School for pupils, staff and visitors who are unwell or injured
• Administration of any over the counter or prescribed medications
• Administering emergency first aid e.g. for injuries received during sports matches or practices
• Conduct health checks on boarders including COVID-19 testing and arranging GP appointments for boarders as required
• Liaising with the School Counsellor regarding pupil wellbeing and linking with the Pastoral Team as required
• Maintaining accurate documentation of school medical records in line with the NMC Code of Conduct
• Organise collection of day pupils by their parents/guardian should they need to go home due to injury or illness
• Work closely with boarding staff on all aspects of the medical care provision of boarders as appropriate
• Advise boarding staff on nursing care and assess sick pupils
• Manage pupils’ medical conditions, updating of medical care plans, such as asthmatics, diabetics, epileptics and pupils with allergies
• Involvement in teaching of pupils in medical related topics as part of the PSHE School curriculum and promoting health and wellbeing within the School community
• Giving support and advice to teachers and other staff e.g. EpiPen training, diabetes and asthma, infection control, medicine administration for school trips etc
• Have a good understanding of Safeguarding and working within the School policies on this topic
• Have an awareness of issues around confidentially, sensitivity and the ability to remain professional at all times
• The post holder is required to comply with all relevant policies and procedures pertinent to their post.
To qualify for this role you must:
Be of qualified nurse status i.e. a minimum of the R.G.N. (or equivalent) qualification
Have excellent communication skills Be approachable and empathic
Be a team player with a warm character
Hold good IT skills including the use of email, Word and Excel to keep accurate medical records
Be able to work independently and flexibly when required
Have experience of working calmly and professionally in a busy environment
Be able to prioritise when working under pressure Have good organisational skills
You may also have:
Experience of working with children
Experience of working in an education setting
Experience of working with international pupils and boarders
Previous experience of practice nursing/A&E/Paediatrics
Qualifications or experience in any of the following areas – practice nursing, asthma, first aid at work, sports injuries and accident & emergency.
Note – appropriate training may be available if required Safe-Guarding Level 3 qualification
All staff are required to adhere to the latest COVID-19 Government guidance to ensure safety of the school community but should endeavour to maintain a supportive working environment.
Mandatory and statutory training will be undertaken and any adverse incidents reported as per school policy. The school infection control and healthcare management policies must be adhered to. Although this is a term time only role, INSET day attendance will be required.
A competitive salary will be offered dependent on the skills and experience of the successful candidate and the exact hours of work agreed.
Pension & School Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, the successful candidate will be offered a range of benefits including an employer contributory pension, free parking, term time only working and free lunch/refreshments.
We are looking for a September start but would be able to accommodate an earlier start date if preferred for the successful candidate.
The successful applicant will be offered the role subject to the satisfactory completion of a number of background checks including but not limited to; an enhanced DBS check, the taking up and verification of references, the verification of career history and fitness to undertake the role.
All staff have a responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children with whom they come into contact and are required to adhere to and ensure compliance with the School’s Safeguarding policies at all times.
If you wish to be considered for this role, please complete an application form and email to: firstname.lastname@example.org CVs can also be submitted as supporting information to the application form. The closing date for applications is Tuesday 11 May 2021 after which time interviews will be arranged with short-listed candidates. If you would like more information on the role or require a hard copy application form please contact Sister Donna Sawtell or Dr Su Xavier on 01892 860000.
Full Time Chef / CookImmediate Start
We are looking for an experienced cook to join our well recognised and motivated catering team in providing high quality catering for our pupils and staff. The role would particularly suit an enthusiastic and experienced Chef/Cook, who is attracted to a friendly working environment where the shift patterns do not require the late hours traditionally associated with the hospitality industry.
Main duties and responsibilities:
The core responsibility of this role will be in leading an exciting and creative provision of weekend catering to our small number of full boarders (around 20 – 25 boarders) during term time (around 20 – 25 weekends a year). This will require an individual who will use their initiative in taking decisions quickly, on some occasions being expected to lead shifts or run them on their own. There will also be shifts with the main team during some of the working week to total 42.5 hours a week.
Typical responsibilities include:
• Planning and preparing high quality and varied meals for children/staff
• Friendly and engaging approach to serving to children, staff and parents
• Cleaning and close-down of the kitchen
• Storing and rotating deliveries
• Excellent awareness and application of relevant hygiene, health and safety guidelines
We are looking for someone who brings:
• A real love for food and cooking and creative ideas to develop the offering further
• Self-starter with confidence in running a shift with others or on your own
• A friendly and enthusiastic approach to serving our children and staff
• Experience in working in a busy kitchen
• A flexible team player who is willing to respond to changes in shift patterns if needed
The working pattern is based on a 42.5 hour week over a series of shift rotas to be agreed with the successful applicant.
Salary will be discussed at interview and depend on experience and hours worked but will be in the region of £22 – 23K pa full time equivalent.
Meals and uniform included.
Additional benefits include an employer contributory pension.
Please complete an application form and email to SParnell@holmewoodhouse.co.uk at the earliest opportunity.
The School will look to interview suitable candidates upon receipt of application, so early application is encouraged. Applicants should include a copy of their curriculum vitae with their application if it contains additional relevant information.
If you have any questions, please contact Stef Parnell on 01892 860000.
Mini Bus Co-ordinatorApril 2021
The purpose of the role is to oversee and ensure a safe, efficient and effective minibus service. The service will provide morning and afternoon home-to-school journeys along with such school trips, fixtures and visits as required.
Responsibilities of the Post:
• Coordinate the daily minibus service; organising drivers, producing weekly passenger schedules, accurate and timely billing and communicating directly with parents via telephone, email and in person. Some emergency communications may come outside of core hours
• Coordinate minibus requests and organise drivers accordingly
• Be part of the minibus driving team, driving pupils to and from the school and other destinations as required
• Ensure that all children are driven in a safe and appropriate manner by yourself and other drivers
• Ensure all registers, accident report forms and all other documentation is completed accurately and clearly and filed appropriately
• Induct new drivers and assess driver competency keeping appropriate records
• Ensure 10 weekly compliance checks are carried out by external company
• Liaise with the maintenance team to organise vehicle repairs, services, MOTs, tax and Section 19 permits in a timely manner
• Hire replacement minibuses as and when necessary
• Publish new/amended minibus routes and update timetables accordingly. Primarily once a year during the summer holidays
• Promote the daily minibus service and draft articles and information for the Newsletters and website
• Be aware of the high profile of the School and to uphold its standards at all times
• Communicate with parents, staff and children in a professional manner
• As appropriate, respect the confidentiality of information received
• Undertake a medical if requested to do so
• Be aware of Fire and Health and Safety policy and procedures and be responsible for the health and safety of yourself and other people who may be affected by what you do or do not do at work
• Be resourceful and show initiative to conduct duties and responsibilities in the most cost effective manner
• Use all equipment in accordance with your training and instruction and report to the Bursar any defects in plant, equipment or premises that could present a risk to health and safety.
This job description is subject to review and change as necessary.
Approx. 6 minibus drivers
• Applicants should hold a D1 qualification on their driving licence in order to successfully drive the routes in the minibus whilst planning new routes or route changes and to act as back up driver in the event of emergency. If you are not KCC approved then successful candidates will have to take the one day minibus driving course to gain this accreditation. This test has to be re-taken every three years by all drivers to maintain approved driver status
• The successful candidates will also be subject to an enhanced DBS check and references will be taken from previous employers
• Previous minibus driving experience would be helpful
• Experienced in the use of Word, Excel and Microsoft Outlook
• Is over 21 years of age to satisfy the School’s Insurance restrictions
• Is able to communicate clearly and effectively with strong customer service
• Is flexible and has a proactive attitude to work
• Hold a First Aid Certificate (Desirable)
Hours & Salary:
• 3.5hrs per day during term time. Some of this work can be done remotely
• Plus 79 hours to be worked during the school holidays, usually worked on site
• This equates to 674 annual working hours plus 81 hours holiday pay, totalling 755 hours per year (c. 39% Full Time Equivalent)
• Salary £10,834pa