Aims, Ethos & Values
Click here to view the Holmewood House School British Values Statement
Our aims and values inform and underpin our policies, guidelines and practice.
Our aims are:
For excellence in teaching
• A culture of self review and school improvement
• Sound procedures for planning, and assessing the progress of pupils
• An effective team of teachers who are supportive of each other, and prepared to try new ideas.
For pastoral care of the highest quality
• A positive atmosphere and generosity of spirit
• Self-esteem for everybody – a school where everyone feels valued. An ethos that celebrates achievement and recognises success.
• Children who are highly motivated, fully involved in the life of the school, independent, and who show initiative and self-discipline.
• A positive and purposeful partnership with parents.
• Valuing cultural diversity and enrichment.
To provide a challenging, well-ordered and stimulating environment in which all can thrive and reach their potential
• Consistent and high expectations for all
• An emphasis on the examined subjects to ensure that pupils achieve the standard needed for entrance to their chosen senior schools and those with the potential have an opportunity to attain scholarship standard
• An environment that is attractive, calm, ordered, stimulating and promotes independent learning.
• An emphasis more on mutual co-operation than individual competitiveness, while accepting that there is a place for healthy competition.
• Opportunities for pupils to experience a range of sports as well as extra-curricular activities and non-examined subjects.
Our whole school values are essentially Christian
• As a community - we value good discipline, independence of mind, mutual support, and success for all.
• In our relationships - we value a caring approach, encouragement, good manners and generosity.
• On a personal level - we value integrity, effort, happiness and self-discipline.
"Pupils are confident when making decisions both in and out of the classroom"
ISI Inspection Report 2017